February 15, 2008

chicago fave: sweet mandy b's

Kate and I stopped in at Sweet Mandy B's yesterday to take a much-needed break from a day-long site measure. We needed a pick-me-up, and since we were nearby we couldn't resist visiting the sweet-as-can-be bake shop. Any time I get even remotely near the intersection of Racine & Webster, my mouth starts watering as visions of snickerdoodle cookies and frosted cupcakes dance in my head. It is impossible to drive by without a stop.

Awash in cheery yellow and robins-egg blue, Sweet Mandy B's is a happy, cozy bakery serving up old-fashioned treats. Patrons young and old peer into the glass counters picking out scrumptious goodies like whoopie pies, rich brownies, soft and chewy cookies, layer cakes and fresh fruit pies. I tend to stick with the chocolate and vanilla cupcakes topped with {the most amazing!} buttercream frosting and candy sprinkles. Sheer bliss in every bite and so worth cheating on the diet. In fact, this is why I run. I run to eat these cupcakes.

If you've never been to Sweet Mandy B's, I urge you to go now. Run. Run like the wind!

Sweet Mandy B's * 1208 W. Webster Ave. * 773.244.1174

(a dozen dreamy, creamy cupcakes on Valentine's Day)

4 comments:

karey m. said...

whoopie pies! buttercream frosting! STOP IT!

more stories about chicago, please...i grew up in joliet and spent many weekends downtown.

this one was such a taste of home.

you're brand new, but one of my dailies already...

Kristin said...

Ditto, Karey! You're on my blog-roll, and I'm loving checking in each day to see what's happening with you and your "girlies."

My sister lives in Orland Park with her family... just a hop, skip and jump from Joliet.

Anonymous said...

I had a Sweet Mandy B's Whoopie Pie last night for my birthday and it was insanely, unlawfully amazing. I'm still dreaming of it..

Anonymous said...

WeightingGame - you are a lucky girl! Happy birthday wishes to you! I hope you enjoyed every delightful bite of that whoopie pie!