February 16, 2008

cold as ever...

... but I do think there is a light at the end of this cold, dark tunnel we call winter. I awoke today to a sound that I haven't heard in months. A sound that is so insignificant any other time of year, but on a cold February morning brings with it so much hope. It was the sound of a bird chirping in the tree outside our window, and when I heard the blissful twitter, I couldn't help but smile. It was enough to make me giddy for the rest of the day. This simple thing, this bird singing its song means so much to me because it reminds me that it won't always be winter. It won't always be cold, and I won't always have to bundle up like Randy from "A Christmas Story" to trudge through the snow. This bird means spring. It will come again. Some day.

2 comments:

karey m. said...

i get so happy when i hear birds, too. almost to the point of purchasing one...but, really, what do you do with a bird?

spring in chicago...nothing better, except summer in chicago! soon...

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for summer in Chicago!