February 5, 2008

sheila bridges - design(er) inspiration


I've gotten a little behind on my blog reading, and was so relieved this morning when I could finally catch up on the latest posts from a few of my favorite bloggers. {I hate it when I get behind!} When I popped in at Design*Sponge I was thrilled to read an interview by Pam who is guest-blogging this week. Pam talked with Sheila Bridges, who just happens to be one of my favorite interior designers. I have been a long time fan of Sheila's ever since I first saw her on Oprah when she talked about her book Furnishing Forward - A Practical Guide to Furnishing for a Lifetime. I turn to it again and again for design inspiration, and my copy has been paged through so many times over the years that it's full of dogears and bookmarks. I found her decorating advice on transitioning from hand-me-downs to furniture that's meant to last and reflect who we are especially indespensible. That's probably because I was at exactly that point in my life when I first picked up her book. I was a recent college grad, moving into a new apartment and just starting design school. I knew that I didn't want an apartment full of second-hand furniture, but also didn't have the money to go out and buy all new stuff either. Sheila taught the importance of incorporating the old with the new and thinking through purchases so they're things we'll actually still want to see in our homes years from now. It was without a doubt great advice for me - and still is!

Check out Pam's interview here!

Also exciting news is that Sheila has a new blog, The Nestmaker, which I will most definitely check out for loads of decorating tips!

No comments: