December 22, 2008

100 things...

I've seen a few bloggers with their own lists so I decided to try one of my own. Wow... it's harder than you'd think to come up with 100 things! Here goes...

100 Things about Me:

1. When I was a kid, my cousin Kelly and I used to light sparklers and then see how many times we could run around our cottage before they went out.

2. I took great pride in beating him.

3. In high-school I had an iguana. His name was Bud.

4. I totally believe in horoscopes. I’m a Sagittarius.

5. My birthday is November 26th, which sometimes falls on Thanksgiving.

6. I did not like it when my mom made a birthday pumpkin pie instead of a cake one year.

7. My favorite book is “Just As Long As We’re Together” by Judy Blume and has been since about the sixth grade.

8. I read it every year.

9. I am left handed.

10. In elementary school, I was jealous of my sister because she had braces and “got” to wear a retainer.

11. Sometimes I snuck in her room to try it on.

12. Now I thank god that my teeth are straight and that I never had to wear braces.

13. I never get tired of 80’s hair band music.

14. And I’ll always have a crush on Jon BonJovi.

15. I’m a sore loser.

16. Once I lost playing “Life” with my family, and I ran off pouting and crying.

17. I was 24. They’ll never let me forget it.

18. I am totally uncoordinated.

19. I like to blame this on my parents who didn’t let me take dance class when I was little.

20. The last time I went ice skating was when I was eight with my sister.

21. She broke her arm and neither of us have skated again.

22. I have never broken a bone.

23. But I did drop a shot-put on my big toe in eighth grade.

24. And had my lip split open by a baseball bat when I was four.

25. I had to get stitches.

26. I also accidentally stapled the tip of my index finger with an industrial stapler when I was at my first week at a new job.

27. I was so embarrassed and couldn’t tell anyone since I just started there, so I had to pry it open and pull it out myself.

28. I almost passed out.

29. The first time I was on an airplane was sophomore year of high-school.

30. I went to Orlando with my friend and her family.

31. I went to Cancun for spring break my senior year of college with eleven friends.

32. When we checked in, they only had one room reserved for us so we had to share one room – and one bathroom – for a week.

33. When we were kids, we liked to sit on the floor vent in our living room when the furnace kicked on. We’d pull our sleep-shirts over our legs and tuck our heads in to create little tents of warm air.

34. I still like to sit on the vent in our bedroom now.

35. I have three tattoos.

36. I’d like to get more.

37. When I was sixteen, I lied and said I was eighteen so I could get my belly button pierced.

38. It was 2 months before my mom and dad found out.

39. When I was little, I used to love catching frogs and salamanders.

40. I wanted to keep them as pets.

41. Once when I caught a teeny tree frog, I was holding it, standing by the campfire, when it suddenly jumped out of my hand and into the fire. I cried all weekend.

42. My first car was a brown Chevy Cavalier.

43. I named it Phil because the license plate started with FYL.

44. The first – and last – time I went snorkeling, it took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to breathe through the mouthpiece. Once I finally got it, we were called back on to the boat because the time was up.

45. Some day for Christmas, I’d like to get my husband and I (and whatever kiddies we have) matching pj’s to open our presents in.

46. We had to wear uniforms in middle school.

47. All the girls would roll up their plaid skirts at the waist, but we still wore shorts underneath.

48. When I was in seventh grade, I had a huge crush on an eighth grader. I wrote my crush’s name and “I heart my crush” all over the bottom of my shoes in class. When we went out for recess that day, someone told him, and he came over to look at my shoes. I was mortified.

49. When I was in high school, I finally dated that crush and when we broke up in college, it was me who broke it off with him.

50. I cannot drive a stick-shift. My friends tried to teach me in high-school, and I was awful. After about the tenth time of clonking out, I just gave up.

51. I am a Packers fan living in Bears’ country. We are a household divided on football Sunday.

52. I believe that ghosts exist and that houses can be haunted.

53. On our trips home to Wisconsin, I like to moo at the cows in the fields.

54. I don’t like to eat white foods – mayonnaise, cream cheese, ranch dressing, sour cream.

55. But I do like vanilla ice cream, marshmallows and yogurt.

56. Growing up I always wanted to be a teacher.

57. Sometimes I wonder if that’s still what I should have done.

58. I also wanted to be a librarian, a waitress, a cashier and an architect.

59. Some day still I would love to open a bakery.

60. We didn’t have Nintendo at our house.

61. The only video games I liked – and actually got good at from playing at friends’ houses – were the original Super Mario Bros. and Tetris.

62. One of my favorite books growing up was “Dr. Seuss’ ABC’s.” I still know it by heart: “Big A, little A, what begins with A? Aunt Annie’s alligator. A A A…”

63. I don’t have an iPod.

64. I’m scared of doing handstands in yoga class.

65. I can’t read in the car or I’ll get carsick.

66. But I can read when I’m on the train or running on the treadmill.

67. Whenever we roast marshmallows, I like to burn the top layer of my marshmallow, peel it off and eat it and then keep burning it down layer by layer.

68. When I eat a bowl of cereal, I like to mix a couple kinds together.

69. And then I drink the milk.

70. I love making lists.

71. Sometimes when I’m going through a list and realize I did a task that wasn’t on it, I’ll write it on anyway just so I can cross it off.

72. I love board games.

73. I always want to be Miss Scarlet when we play “Clue” and the dog when we play Monopoly.

74. I don’t like sushi.

75. I love karaoke.

76. When I was in kindergarten, I got to be the partridge in a pear tree in our school Christmas play. Every time that verse of the song came up, I had to get down from the “tree” and flap my wings and squawk around the stage.

77. And then when I was in sixth grade, I was the dove in our Christmas play and had to sing a solo. I guess there’s just something about me and birds…

78. I took Spanish in high-school and in college.

79. I still can’t speak it.

80. I’d like to take French classes now.

81. And then take a trip to Paris.

82. My top five favorite movies (in no particular order because it’s too hard narrow down): “You’ve Got Mail,” “Sixteen Candles,” “When Harry Met Sally,” “Love Actually,” and “Baby Boom.”

83. Every year growing up during one week of the summer, my mom would put up a tent in our backyard so we could “camp out” with our friends.

84. My grandparents lived on a dairy farm and used to name the cows after me and my cousins.

85. I loved to go into the barn and check the list to see what my cow was doing that day.

86. I love to do crosswords, sudoku and word jumbles.

87. I wanted to be just like Sam on “Who’s the Boss.”

88. And I thought Susanna Hoffs – from The Bangles – was the coolest person ever.

89. I have a birthmark on my upper thigh that I used to cover up with my hand whenever we went to the pool as kids.

90. I still have a habit of covering it up when I put on a swim suit.

91. My favorite ice cream novelty was always a Mickey Mouse Bar.

92. Now it’s a Dove Bar.

93. I never really liked cats until I got a dog.

94. Now that I’ve got her, I realize how much I love all animals.

95. The worst household chore? Ironing. Followed very close behind by dusting.

96. The best? Vacuuming.

97. I love books. Novels, coffee table books, kids’ picture books – all of them.

98. Some day I want a library in my house.

99. My niece and nephews have brought more joy to my life than I would have ever thought possible.

100. I can’t wait to have children of my own.

So that's 100! Thanks for reading!

15 comments:

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

this was SUCH a fun list. i simply must try one myself :) btw, i totally stapled my finger in 6th grade and when the school nurse whipped out a staple remover, i did pass out.

Kristin said...

Thanks so much, Emily! It was really fun making it, and I definitely think you should make one too. I can't believe you have a staple story, too! Staplers be damned!
Merry Christmas to you...
xo Kristin

Anonymous said...

Very sweet :)

Kristin said...

Thanks, Juju!

Anonymous said...

Loved reading your list! It must have been hard to think of all those funny/random things from the past!? They were an enjoyable read :-)

Dennise said...

What an awesome list! I simply must try it on my blog as well. Oh by the way, hooray for living in Chicago. I will try not to hold your love for the Packers against you. Now the Brewers, that's a totally different story...unforgivable. :)

Lesley said...

Cute!

Kristin said...

Thanks Annabelle, Dennise & Lesley - it's so nice to have you visit and I'm glad you enjoyed my list. It was fun going back down memory lane to come up with all the things. (And don't worry, Dennise, I'm a Cubs fan all the way... no Brewers!)
xo Kristin

Anonymous said...

The list sounds like so much fun!:D I'm definitely going to try it when I get the time.

I smiled the whole time reading it. :)

Thank you for the idea;D

Kristin said...

Thanks, Phyu Phyu! It really was fun taking that walk down memory lane... I admit, that even rereading it now makes me smile.

lisa said...

I laughed outlook while reading your list. Thank you.

Elsa May said...

What an lovely and fun list! Number 71 cracked me up - I've ben known to do the same. Love it!

Marija said...

Great list! And for someone who just found your blog, i feel like I know so much about you now! Marija

Anonymous said...

Well that was indeed a great trip down memory lane for me! It does make a person stop and think of when we were young doesn't it??? And the simple things in life too. I am going to sit down today and write a list of my own. Thanks fpr sharing. It is very inspiring.
Namaste
Karen

Mary said...

AWESOME list! I am going to have to try to do the same. We have plenty in common. Our style of eating marshmallows, for example. Getting carsick. Wanting to be like Sam on Who's the Boss? Great stuff. :-D