June 30, 2010
Through a bright white mudroom
a huge kitchen
a delightful kid's room
a chic country bath
and a cozy nook
Want to swoon a little more? Take a peek here. I adore every thing.
(All images from KML Design. Via Mary)
June 29, 2010
I had a lovely week with my parents... full of lots of laughs, lots of hugs and lots of relaxation. If I wasn't missing my hubby and my pup so badly, I might have extended my stay! But it is good to be back and to share some new things with you...
Like this inspired idea!
A deck of feelgood cards is sure to come in handy every now and then...
(Feelgood Cards by Up Up Creative)
If you're feeling a bit down in the dumps, simply grab a card for some quick & easy mood-boosting advice. There are 38 tips to choose from! That frown will be gone before you know it.
Also, be sure to check out the Feelgood Lists. The inspiring backstory has got me composing my own list of bad mood busters.
June 21, 2010
Just popping in to let you know that I'll be taking the week off. I'm heading up to Wisconsin tomorrow (with the Twinkies in tow) for some much-needed quality time with my parents. I've been looking forward to this trip for a long time and am so happy it's finally here!
Be well, and I'll see you next week!
June 18, 2010
June 17, 2010
Seriously swooning over these shoes...
I loved my first pair of Toms, too. Adorable green and blue plaid. Right up until my furry rascal, who goes by Lulu, thought it was a good idea to turn them into chew toys.
May they rest in peace.
They're 'shoes,' Lulu... not 'chews.'
June 16, 2010
So, I guess I should share seven things with you. Some random bits...
1. My husband and I took our honeymoon in Italy. It was an amazing trip with stops in Santa Margherita, Cinque Terre and Florence. We ate our hearts out and saw so much beautiful architecture. But probably my most memorable thing from the trip happened on the last Sunday that we were there. I got up a little early, laced up my sneakers and headed out for a jog through the hills just outside of Florence. It was a gorgeous morning, and I was just trucking along taking in the sights, when a single church bell started ringing. And then another. And then another. More and more bells chimed in until it seemed as if the whole city was ringing. It was magical. Brought tears to my eyes and goosebumps to my skin. I'll never forget it...
2. My favorite movie theater treat is a combination of milk duds and popcorn. It's the perfect duo of sweet and salty. Although, I'm sure my dentist would cringe if she just read that...
3. I definitely live by the credo that things happen for a reason, and so I try very hard to have no regrets. If things didn't fall exactly into place the way they have all these years, then I may not be where I am today. (And where I am is very happy.) BUT if I did have one do-over, it would be to have studied abroad while I was in college. I could kick myself for not doing it! I was so worried about missing out on all the college parties and friends, but instead I missed out on an amazing opportunity to get some culture, make new friends, and see a whole new side of the world. I wish my younger self knew how lucky she was to have the chance to do that...
4. If money weren't an issue, I'd love to move out to the country, restore a big old farm-house, grow a huge vegetable garden and raise chickens and goats and maybe a potbelly pig. (And my kitchen would have a soft-serve ice cream machine!) Lots of fresh air, wide open space and yummy dinners using our homegrown veggies sounds quite lovely to me. So does as much soft-serve as I can eat...
5. I love cereal. It's what I have for breakfast about 95% of the time. But I rarely ever pour just one kind of cereal. Nope, my bowls are all about mixers... I'm always mixing at least two, sometimes three (heck, yesterday I had four!) different kinds together. And as long as I'm telling you, I also pour in a ton of milk, let the bowl sit for a minute or two so the cereal gets a little soggy, and then I first drink all the milk and then eat the rest. I know it's so weird...
6. I have a major girl crush on Kelly Ripa. She just seems so lovely inside and out. She's got a wonderful sense of humor, her style is impeccable, her body is rock hard -- that girl works out! -- and she just seems really down to earth. I'd love to meet her someday. And then we can become besties...
7. My idea of a perfect Saturday morning is to wake with the sun and go for a long run through the still quiet city streets. I'll return home to my bright and cheery family who are all dressed and ready to go to breakfast. At breakfast, Wade will suggest doing splitzies (he never wants to share and usually refuses my requests), and we'll both get a taste of something sweet and something savory. On our way home, we'll breeze through the farmer's market for a lovely bouquet and some ripe fruits and veggies. I'm looking forward to the weekend already...
Thanks so much again, Minnie. Mama Without Borders is most definitely one of my favorites!
June 15, 2010
Monday - leftovers both weeks!
Last Tuesday - Linguini with Pesto & Grape Tomatoes
Week before - Penne with Pesto Alla Trapanese (apparently I have a thing for pesto on Tuesdays!)
Last Wednesday - Grilled Chicken with Peppers over Rice Noodles
Week before - Roasted Tomato Tabbouleh
Last Thursday - Black Bean Tacos
Week before - Balsamic Portobello Burgers with Garlicky White Beans
Last Friday - Hot Dog Roll-ups (I know I'm not 10 years old, but they were samples at Trader Joe's -- kosher beef dogs wrapped in pizza dough baked until golden brown and with yellow mustard to dip -- and they were so good, I had to have more!)
Week before - Gnocchi with Sausage & Spinach
Favorite? Definitely loved all the pestos, and the Tabbouleh is a fabulous summer dinner, but the Hot Dog Roll-Ups were just that good.
Least? Not a fan of the Gnocchi. It was a little bland. I thought it was missing something... tomatoes maybe? And it was a little heavy on the onions.
Some pictures (not mine!)...
(Roasted Tomato Tabboueleh and Portobello Burgers via Martha Stewart)
June 11, 2010
June 8, 2010
June 4, 2010
June 3, 2010
A DIY-er through and through, Holly has loads of talent and quite an eye for finding diamonds in the rough. Every time I pop over to Life in the Fun Lane, I walk away with a pocket-full of decorating ideas. Full of Before-and-After shots (one of my favorite features!), it's a super inspiring blog.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that Holly LOVES white. A kindred spirit! (But she has enough guts to actually decorate her house in an all white palette. With a baby. And two dogs. She's superwoman!)
I'm thrilled Holly is sharing 10 Things with us today...
The last thing I do before bed: Read. I cannot sleep unless I read for at least 20 minutes. My favorites are old mysteries I pick up on my treasure hunts.
Favorite thing about my house: The light. As soon as we walked in the front door I knew this was house when I saw light streaming in through a skylight down all the stairs.
My signature dish: Fried Rice. I really don't cook, so when I master something it is my go-to dish. This is one because it is easy to make using leftover chicken (like those rotisserie chickens from the grocery store). It is a rare day I make more than one dish with a meal, so I know I need to work on that...
The best place to be in the spring: In our backyard. I love the greenery and birds. We have birds singing all day long, and it is really private back there so I feel really relaxed.
Book I can read again and again: Ooh tough one! I have quite a few. I have read Mansfield Park (Jane Austin) a ton of times, and if I want to snuggle in bed for an afternoon I always curl up with The Lord of the Rings. I just love the characters, and feel like we're old friends by now.
If I had one do-over: I would have started our reno with the kitchen!! It costs the most and now we keep putting it off to finish other things...
When I need to unwind: I fill up the jacuzzi tub and grab my favorite book.
Celebrity crush: Rhett Butler. What a gent!
Words I live by: Do what you love! Life is too short to waste what you like just living for 2 days a week.
On Sunday mornings, you'll find me: Playing with Wren, going to the park.
Don't knock _____, until you try it: White! People tend to be scared of it for some reason, even when they love it.
Day I'd love to live again: Our wedding day. It was just so fun and romantic, and I loved my dress.
I could spend the whole day: Painting! There are days I forget to even eat I love it out in my garage so much!
I feel my prettiest when: I am wearing my favorite jeans and a great tee shirt.
It's worth the splurge: Good paint! You will spend more time, energy and money trying to get good coverage with the cheap stuff.
(all photos are Holly's ... so, you can see she's great behind the lens, too.)
Holly -- you are a gem. Beautiful inside and out. Thank you for the endless ideas you share with us to make our homes beautiful. You are a true inspiration!
PS - I don't think I'd ever take that wedding dress off. ;)
June 2, 2010
I want to wrap up after a steamy shower in this...
I'd like to decorate a desktop with this...
I'd like to throw a lovely dinner party like this...
I'd like to snuggle up in this...
June 1, 2010
Monday - Cheddar Burgers with Roasted Corn & Tomato Salad and Strawberry Rhubarb Pie for dessert (I wish I remembered to take a picture!!)
Tuesday - Hawaiian Pizza with Radish Salad
Wednesday - Grilled Chicken Salad with Apples
Thursday - fend for yourself night
Friday - Fig & Prosciutto Crostini
Favorite? The Hawaiian Pizza! Caramelized onions, though not a typical ingredient, were a really good idea. We could have eaten the whole pizza but managed to show a bit of restraint. (Which made me very happy as I enjoyed leftovers the next day!)
Runner up? The chicken salad was quite fantastic. And SO simple to make. I'll be eating this again and again and again this summer. It was cool and refreshing... and it's just as good without the chicken as with it. And I should add that I normally wouldn't go near chicken salad because I don't like mayo, but this salad has a nice tart lime dressing, perfect for mayo-haters like me.
Least favorite? Ugh. I learned I do not like radishes. Who knew they were so spicy?! I felt very guilty throwing out the rest of the bunch I bought from the farmer's market but there was just no way we were going to finish them.
PS - I love how Wade and I have the exact same tastes, which includes an extreme dislike of mayonnaise (and now apparently radishes, too). We were meant for each other! ;)
(Photo via Real Simple)
One more thing... I should quickly mention that the pie was awesome. It was the perfect mix of sweet and tart with both the strawberries and rhubarb. I forgot how much I like the combo of the two. And how much I like pie...
Let me know if you want any of the recipes.