July 2, 2008

what i'm reading

Do you ever find that when you near the end of a great novel you start missing it even though it isn’t even finished? You start reading slower to keep that last page from coming? And then when the inevitable happens, and you do finish that last sentence, that you read everything else on the book - the back flap, the author’s bio, the reviews – just to keep it going a little bit longer? That’s what great novels do to me. I get so caught up in the stories that sometimes they end before I’m ready. It’s like they’ve broken up with me and I don’t want to say goodbye.

This just happened to me with The Birth House by Ami McKay. I’m having a hard time putting into words why I loved it so much. Maybe it was the lovable characters and the enduring friendships they shared or maybe it was the style of writing –like a journal or even a scrapbook (as the author describes). Or maybe because at the heart of the story it was about mothers and babies and pregnancy and that’s the one thing I want most in my life right now but am having trouble getting. Most likely, it’s the sum of all these things.

I hope if you decide to read it that you love it too. I’d love to hear what you think.

The Birth House * Ami McKay
Read more about it here.
Order it online here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a lovely and simple read.

amy turn sharp said...

It is going on my list! merci!

shi(f)t said...

its on my list--thanks!

Kristin said...

I'd love to hear your thoughts after you all read it!