July 30, 2008

the magic of polaroid


I remember when I was in sixth grade spending the afternoon at my best friend at the time’s house. Like most middle-schooler’s we quickly got bored with whatever it was we were doing and started looking around for something else to do. We eventually found her mom’s Polaroid camera, and spent the next few hours photographing all sorts of things and then waiting in anticipation for each little picture to develop. I actually still have a few of those pictures tucked away in a box in the closet. Every time I pull them out, I feel a surge of happiness remembering that lovely day. We’ve lost touch over the years, and I never knew whether she got in trouble for using up all her mom’s film, but what I do know is that seeing those pictures form from nothing right in front of our eyes was like magic, and we loved every minute of it.

There are 25 photographers out there who feel exactly the same way about the magic of Polaroid and together they compiled a book of arresting and inspiring photos titled “For the Love of Light – A Tribute to the Art of the Polaroid.” Created and edited by Jenifer Altman, the book invites us see the world through these talented photographers’ eyes.

I can’t wait for my copy to arrive. You can order one too. Just click here. You’ll get a limited edition numbered copy (one of 500) and a limited edition 5x5 print from the book.

3 comments:

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I'm loving your blog...and loving this book! I heart my Polaroid and am fearing the day when I can longer get the film.

Kristin said...

Laura - thanks for the kind words! I don't have a polaroid, but after looking through the book last night - I just got my copy! - I want one so badly. I'll get as many photos taken as I can before it goes extinct.

Anonymous said...

Right...going to see if I can still get a copy now ! Looks great.
I love LOVE polaroid...and will be so sad when my stash is used up.
What can I replace it with ? Nothing compares... :(