January 14, 2008

lovely bedroom

OK, so I know that the interiors in the Pottery Barn catalog are probably poo-pooed upon by interior designers as a place to go for inspiration, but I have to admit that I often feel quite moved by the rooms so thoughtfully planned on those pages. {Shh! Don't tell my bosses!} The designers, lighting experts and photographers know just how to capture the essence of each room with the careful placement of furnishings and objects. They skillfully incorporate the day's trends with classic styles for a well-rounded look that we can try to create in our own homes.

I know the interiors are meant to showcase the store's furniture and accessories, but I actually often find myself looking past the products to the arrangement of the furniture or the wall and trim paint colors. I'm usually paying close attention to the flower arrangements displayed just perfectly or the style of pleating on the window treatments. Pick up a PB catalog at my house, and you'll probably find a ton of dog-eared pages that I like to revisit for ideas in my home.

Here's a lovely PB bedroom from one of the latest catalogs. I love the how the painted blue dresser pops against the dark taupe walls. And the artfully arranged vases with flowering branches makes me want to run to my nearest garden center for my own bouquet of loveliness. The sheer drapery panels have a light, ethereal quality, and the modern black and white artwork is the perfect complement to the lively,floral-patterned bedding. The paint color in my bedroom is similar, and I am on the lookout for a new dresser, so this is just the right dose of inspiration for me. This room will definitely be added to my file!

No comments: