June 25, 2009

recipe: strawberry pie

When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmmm, boy. -Jack Handey


We bought a big carton of fresh strawberries over the weekend, and I thought I'd take a stab at making a pie. (Not my prettiest creation, as you can see from the photo, but it certainly is tasty!)

For the crust:
1-1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Mix all of the ingredients together and spread evenly into a pie dish -- on the bottom and up the sides. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.

For the filling:
1 quart fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
1/2 cup sugar*
3 tbsp cornstarch
3/4 cup water

Arrange half of strawberries in baked crust. Mash remaining berries and combine with sugar in a saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour mixture over berries in pastry shell. Chill for several hours before serving.

*The original recipe from All Recipes online calls for 1 cup sugar, which I thought was too sweet. I'd cut this to 1/2 cup to get a bit of the strawberries' mild tartness.

(Crust recipe from The Joy of Cooking, Filling recipe adapted from All Recipes online.)



And here's who I get to look at whenever I'm doing anything in the kitchen. Our little Lulu always hoping to catch a dropped crumb...

6 comments:

Dionne said...

First let me say that ANYTHING with strawberries in it is immediately beautiful by default.

I want a piece.

Actually...

I think I want the whole pie! :)

Truly Smitten said...

this looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing! I love strawberries...mmm..but I don't think I've ever tried strawberry pie =)

Kristin said...

You should both give it a try -- the recipe is SUPER easy and the results are quite tasty!

Aimee said...

Er, when did Lulu become a dog and leave puppy land! She is cute...Pie is not my fav...but that's okay! I am sure is was good! (you know I don't like fruit)

Joanna Goddard said...

this looks delicious -- and how AMAZING that you're having twins! i am a twin and i LOVE it. also, you won the perfume giveaway on Cup of Jo -- just email me with your address and your choice of scent, and we'll have it sent right out! yay and thank you! xoxo joanna_goddard (at) yahoo (dot) com

Kristin said...

Oh Aim, she is a dog now. I get a little misty eyed when I look back at her puppy pictures and then see how big she's gotten.

She's still loveable as can be, though, and that's all that matters!

Hope all is well with the fam!!
xo, K