May 2, 2011

it's hummingbird cake, y'all

A few weekends ago, Wade took me to Table 52 for dinner. Dinner was outstanding, but the real show-stopper was dessert. We finished our meal with one of the most delicious, won't soon be forgotten slices of cake I have ever eaten. It was Hummingbird Cake, which from what I've heard, is a pretty popular cake down South. And now I can't stop thinking about it!

The love child of banana bread and carrot cake (except with no carrots at all, but with pineapple) and with thick layers of cream cheese frosting, this cake has very quickly staked its place in my top five favorites list...




And I am so excited that I found not just the recipe but HIS recipe! online.

Now I need a special occasion to make it. Perhaps because tomorrow is Tuesday would be a good reason, no? I'll let you all know how it goes. And if you happen to have a recipe for Hummingbird Cake that you love, please share!


PS - Everything about dinner was uh-mazing, and I highly (highly!) recommend it to anyone in Chicago.

(Photo from here.)

8 comments:

Mary said...

Oooh that looks good! I'm bookmarking for the next occasion I have where I need a dessert.

Dionne said...

I love Hummingbird Cake! I like to make Hummingbird Cupcakes and put little "wings" on them. I checked out the recipe, and the only difference with mine is that I actually do add a little carrot, and also coconut, and marmelade. So yummy!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Oooh know what? I just woke up and decided I'd check out a few blogs. This is the first blog I read this morning. Now I am craving for two slices of Hummingbird Cake. Looks like I need to find some of that for dessert later. Have a yummy day sweetie!

Kifus said...

I've never tried Hummingbird cake but it sure looks yummy. Let us know how it turned out if you decide to make it.

Hugs to you, Kristin!

cerebral e said...

I use this recipe: http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=784903

It's Australian so it's in metric. I love making this ccake because it's always so well-received. Mmm...maybe I'll make one tonight.

herecomesthesun said...

That cake is making me drool a little!

Elsa May said...

banana bread + carrot cake = yum!!!

firma de contabilitate said...

Wow how it looks, incredible good and i am sure it was delicious am i right? Thanks a lot for the recipe, definetly i will try it.