June 1, 2010

what's cooking: last week's menu

It was a very lazy week in the kitchen for me. Must be the warm weather, but I just did not feel like cooking. Lots of grilling and simple salads for us...

Monday - Cheddar Burgers with Roasted Corn & Tomato Salad and Strawberry Rhubarb Pie for dessert (I wish I remembered to take a picture!!)
Tuesday - Hawaiian Pizza with Radish Salad
Wednesday - Grilled Chicken Salad with Apples
Thursday - fend for yourself night
Friday - Fig & Prosciutto Crostini

Favorite? The Hawaiian Pizza! Caramelized onions, though not a typical ingredient, were a really good idea. We could have eaten the whole pizza but managed to show a bit of restraint. (Which made me very happy as I enjoyed leftovers the next day!)
Runner up? The chicken salad was quite fantastic. And SO simple to make. I'll be eating this again and again and again this summer. It was cool and refreshing... and it's just as good without the chicken as with it. And I should add that I normally wouldn't go near chicken salad because I don't like mayo, but this salad has a nice tart lime dressing, perfect for mayo-haters like me.
Least favorite? Ugh. I learned I do not like radishes. Who knew they were so spicy?! I felt very guilty throwing out the rest of the bunch I bought from the farmer's market but there was just no way we were going to finish them.

PS - I love how Wade and I have the exact same tastes, which includes an extreme dislike of mayonnaise (and now apparently radishes, too). We were meant for each other! ;)




(Photo via Real Simple)



One more thing... I should quickly mention that the pie was awesome. It was the perfect mix of sweet and tart with both the strawberries and rhubarb. I forgot how much I like the combo of the two. And how much I like pie...

That's all.
Let me know if you want any of the recipes.
xo, Kristin

2 comments:

Minnie said...

Hi Kristin, I'd love the recipe for the pizza. It's my husband's favorite and I actually bought some ingredients already and was just going to wing it, often not a great idea for me! Hope I'm not too pesky asking for all your recipes.

Meg said...

yum! i'd love your recipe for the strawberry-rhubarb pie, my husband's been hinting that he'd love to have one... and i've been hinting that i'll make one :) send it to curlsandcoffee@gmail.com if you have some time! thanks xox